Dun Laoghaire 01 280 2041
Foxrock 01 289 5335
Kilmacud 01 278 0480

Safety at Christmas

1. Christmas tree decorations:

Baubles, tinsel and dazzling decorations can be a great source of intrigue and possible play objects for your pet. Please be mindful as decorations can be dangerous:

  • chocolate is harmful to pets, so hang those edible decorations out of reach;
  • fallen decorations can be swallowed by our furry friends, and broken ornaments can cause penetrating injuries

2. Christmas foods and treats:

The smell of delicious Christmas dinner wafting from the kitchen is as irresistible to our pets as it is to us. Avoid leaving food anywhere in your pet’s reach – or you may go hungry after they have helped themselves but It’s not just about protecting the Christmas dinner. Many foods we love can make pets unwell (onions, garlic, raisins, grapes, chocolate, walnuts, macadamias, sweets containing xylitol and many more), and turkey bones can become stuck in their throat if swallowed.

3. Christmas flora:

Poinsettias, mistletoe and holly are Christmas favourites, and almost all houses will have at least one on display. However they are dangerous for pets; with varying levels of toxicity, the side effects depend on how much of the plant is consumed. Display out of reach to avoid any tummy troubles.

4. Stand free ornaments:

We love to decorate our homes with special Christmas ornaments. But remember, if your cat, dog or rabbit isn’t used to its usual play spaces being filled with festive objects, they can be knocked over, nibbled, or even swallowed. Some pets may also feel a little put out if ornaments are left to close to their litter trays

5. Christmas traffic at home:

Christmas can often mean lots of visitors, with friends and family coming together in seasonal spirit. Remember that new faces and more noise can be scary for your pet, so it’s a good idea to provide them with a safe room so they can relax and sit back if they are becoming overwhelmed. Visiting children should also be instructed to handle and treat your pets gently and with the respect they deserve. It’s also important to maintain your pet’s normal routines, especially with feeding and exercise, to avoid them becoming too unsettled.