Yes, most peanut Butter is safe to give to your dog as a treat. Peanut butter can be a great source of Protein, Niacin, healthy fats and Vitamins B and E. Home-made peanut butter or Unsalted Peanut butter is the healthiest option for your dog. Home-made peanut butter does not contain any extra additives or sugar and unsalted peanut butter is recommended as high amounts of sodium is not good for your dog. It must be given as a treat and in moderation, as too much can cause your pet to gain weight and high quantities can cause other problems such as pancreatitis due to it being so rich in natural fats and protein.
Most dogs love peanut butter as a treat, but not all peanut butters are safe for your pet due to one specific ingredient and we would like to inform everyone about this potentially deadly ingredient.
What potentially deadly ingredient could possibly be in peanut butter?
Xylitol is a sweetener that is used in many foods, including peanut butter, chewing gum, yogurt and toothpaste. This sweetener is being used in a growing list of products because it is as sweet as sucrose and this sweetener is only two-thirds the calories of normal sugar. This sweetener is safe for humans to consume but as mentioned earlier, potentially deadly for dogs.
If dogs consume xylitol it will cause a rapid release of insulin, which will equally cause a prompt and extreme decrease in blood sugar levels. If this is left, this can be life threatening to your dog. The scientific term for this condition is known as Hypoglycaemia and can occur as quickly as 10 – 60 minutes after consuming xylitol.
The symptoms of xylitol poisoning in dogs include:
- Muscle weakness.
- Lack of coordination.
Low calorie products are becoming much more popular which means if you are giving peanut butter as a treat to your dog you must be more vigilant when it comes to what you pet is eating.
Xylitol Poisoning is easily avoided by simply reading the label of the peanut butter and look in the ingredients section for the word “xylitol”, if the product contains xylitol keep it out of your dogs’ reach and if its free from this ingredient it is safe to give to your pet. If you think your dog has consumed Xylitol you should contact your local veterinarian immediately and keep an eye out for the symptoms that are listed above.
How Much Peanut Butter Can Dogs Eat?
There are two things that can be done to be fully sure on how much peanut butter to feed your dog. The first option would be to call your local veterinarian and ask for their advice and this wold be very important if your dog has a condition such as diabetes or if they have food sensitivity issues.
The other option would be to use the 10 Percent rule. Generally, when giving your dog’s treats the treats should not make up any more than 10 percent of your dogs’ daily allowance of food in their diet. This can be done by measuring out the amount of food your dog is to be fed daily and as a recommendation it might be a good idea to alternate the treats between peanut butter and healthier treats such as dog friendly vegetables or fruits or just the average every day treats that can be purchased at pet stores or at your local veterinarians.
To conclude, you do not have to keep your pup in suspense any longer! Yes, your dog can eat Peanut Butter as long as you feed it to your pet in moderation and to ensure that the product does not contain the deadly “Xylitol”. So, don’t be afraid to take out that peanut butter jar and share the good news with you four legged friend!