Does your dog eat slugs? It could be at risk from lungworm.
Did you know that a parasite, which could pose a serious health risk to your dog, may be lurking in your garden?
Ordinary slugs and snails you find in your back garden can carry a parasite called lungworm. If your dog becomes infected – often after eating a slug or snail – the parasite can pose a real threat to their health and the disease may even prove to be fatal. Make sure you know how to spot the warning signs so you can help keep your dog safe.
Why does my dog eat slugs and snails?
Dogs often ingest them by accident. When they’re playing in the garden or in the great outdoors, dogs may chew on a toy which has a slug or snail on it, or drink from puddles of water containing the creatures. Slugs even produce a foul-tasting substance as a defence mechanism, but this isn’t always enough to stop dogs eating them anyway.
Can slugs and snails harm my dog?
Slugs and snails can carry the lungworm parasite, which can lead to serious health issues if passed on to your dog.
Can the slime produced by snails and slugs harm my dog too?
Research has found that the lungworm larvae can be released into the slime produced by slugs.1 It means that your dog may become infected simply by ingesting the slime – your pet doesn’t need to eat an entire slug or snail to be at risk of lungworm. But if a dog does contract lungworm, treatment is possible. The best way to protect your pet is by using a regular monthly preventative treatment, which can only be accessed through us.
What actually is lungworm?
Lungworm (which is scientifically known as Angiostrongylus vasorum) is a parasitic worm which can be carried by dogs, foxes and other wild canids. Lungworm has spread considerably in recent years and is now endemic in much of the UK. A survey by researchers at the Royal Veterinary College in London found that one in five veterinary practices in the UK has reported at least one clinical case in a dog.
How do dogs become infected by lungworm?
Lungworm larvae are carried by infected slugs and snails. It can be passed on to dogs if they deliberately or accidentally eat these common garden visitors while rummaging through undergrowth, drinking from puddles, or playing with toys that have tiny slugs or snails stuck to them. It’s even been found that the larvae are released into their slime, making this another possible source of infection.
Once a dog is infected, they will pass lungworm larvae in their faeces. Any slugs and snails that come into contact with the dog poo may then become infected with the parasite. Foxes can also carry lungworm, and play a part in spreading the parasite around the country.
As you can see from the map attached there have been a number of cases reported in Dublin. Thankfully the numbers in South County Dublin have been low and we credit our advice with this finding. We have been advocating treating your dogs for Lungworm for a number of years and therefore decreasing dramatically the number of deaths we have seen.
What risks does lungworm pose?
The signs of lungworm can be easily confused with other illnesses, so it is important to consult us immediately if your pet displays any of the following:
- Breathing problems, including a cough, are common signs – but not all dogs with lungworm will cough, so you can’t rule out lungworm just because your dog isn’t coughing
- Changes in behaviour – depression, lethargy or seizures
- General sickness – weight loss, poor appetite, vomiting or diarrhoea
- Poor blood clotting – for example, excessive bleeding from minor wounds, nose bleeds, bleeding into the eyes or paleness around the eyes and gums indicating possible anaemia
Dogs may show just one of these signs or a combination of them. All of these signs can be caused by other diseases, which makes lungworm diagnosis tricky. The parasite can be fatal if left untreated, so it’s important to get your dog checked over by a vet if you have any concerns.
What should I do if I see my dog eat a slug or snail?
Not all snails and slugs carry the lungworm parasite. But, if you live in an area where cases of lungworm in dogs have been reported and you suspect your dog has eaten a slug or a snail, you should contact us right away. If you notice any unusual signs in your dog, or think they may be infected, take your pet to the vet and discuss your concerns.
If your dog is diagnosed with lungworm, treatment is available and, provided it is caught early enough, many dogs will make a full recovery. Even better, prevention is available too; a monthly treatment from us can stop your dog becoming infected in the first place.
Which dogs are particularly at risk of a lungworm infection?
Although any dog can become infected with lungworm, studies have shown that younger dogs are more likely to be affected, possibly due to their more inquisitive nature. However all ages of dog, and any breed, can be affected by lungworm.
Dogs that are known to eat slugs and snails are also considered at high risk, but remember slugs and snails can be tiny and you may have no idea that your dog has eaten one.
How do I prevent my dog from getting lungworm?
If spotted and treated early enough many dogs will make a full recovery. But as this parasite can prove to be fatal in dogs, the best way to ensure your pet is protected is by regularly using a product that acts as a preventative.
But not all wormers are effective against lungworm, so be sure to ask us for advice.
Remember, lungworm prevention must be given monthly. Using a product every three months (as is advised to protect against many other worms) will not prevent an infection because it leaves your dog unprotected for too long between doses.
How do I stop my dog from eating slugs and snails?
There are ways you can help to reduce your dog’s exposure to lungworm:
- Stop your dog eating slugs/snails where you can
Of course, it’s impossible to know when this might happen as slugs can be tiny, making it hard to know when your dog is at risk. But if you happen to catch your dog sniffing at a slug or snail, move them away from the danger zone immediately.
- Don’t leave toys in the garden overnight
Any ball or toy left out in the garden at night may attract slugs and snails so make sure you tidy them away. Smaller snails can reside in the crevices of toys or burrow underneath them, and dogs may accidentally swallow these while playing.
- Wash water bowls kept outside
If you keep a water bowl for your dog outside, be sure to wash it and refresh the water regularly.
As an extra precaution, bring the water bowl inside at night. Slugs and snails will seek out sources of moisture, making your dog’s water bowl an ideal target.
- Monitor the number of snails in your garden
If your garden is popular among slugs and snails, you may want to consider using a non-toxic way of controlling the population.
- Pick up your dog’s poo
We know that responsible dog owners already do this, but when it comes to controlling lungworm, it’s particularly important.
If everyone picked up and bagged their dog’s poo, it would help to limit the spread of lungworm.